the world of bar work in all its glory

For six glorious months of my life, I had the pleasure of working behind the bar at the O2 Academy in Bristol. And it only took those six glorious months for me to know I'll be avoiding bar work for the rest of my life. So I thought I'd lay out the facts, or the way I see the facts at least, for anyone considering working behind a bar, in a pub or club.

The first thing, and most obvious, is the hours. A gig would usually finish at 11, meaning I wouldn't leave work until at least midnight, and for a teen who loves sleep, this was just appalling. However, the O2 also had a club night every Friday, which usually meant I wouldn't leave work until about 6am. That is quality sleeping time that I was missing. For some people, working late nights and through to the morning, it just isn't a big deal, and they're happy to sleep all day and work all night. I knew what I was getting into before I applied, but I didn't realise the impact working nights can have. For me, my sleep schedule was completely ruined. I felt my mood drop because I'd always be tired, and no matter how much longer I slept for, I never caught up with my sleep.

To give credit where it is due, a lot of customers where nice; they tipped generously, made conversation, didn't rush me or shout, and that really is nice. It lifts your mood to the sky when you get a nice customer, it's just a shame that they're 1 in a million, because the million are drunk. You'll see customers start the night, all sober smiles, but slowly turn drunker and angrier. For some reason, drunk people just want what they want, and nothing to get in the way. We've all been there; that one aggressively drunk person spewing insults to random people around us... no? just me? Well, it just doesn't make your long ass shift any easier having drunk assholes hurl abuse at you. And even if they're nice, you're still jealous that they're drinking and having fun and you know you're going to be sweeping and mopping until 6am.

Another thing that I didn't realise that came with bar staff was bar support. I just presumed all I'd be doing was pouring pints, but the O2 regularly gave me the wonderful job of bar support, which is probably the heaviest factor that made me quit. Bar support is what the namesake suggests; you run around all night, emptying bins, restocking fridges, mopping up spills and picking up cups. It's almost as if any respect you got when you were behind the bar is gone, and you're just a fool stood in a crowd with a bin bag in your hand. The worst is that you have the regularly check and clean the toilets, which you'll understand if you've ever been inside a women's toilet in a club. One girl will be throwing up in the sink, one girl will be crying over her ex boyfriend, one girl will be taking selfies in the mirrors, and not as single one of them will listen to you. I can't tell you how many times I was called 'toilet lady'.

Maybe it was just my experience of that one place, but it has rendered me stuck in either retail or catering for the rest of my life. If you are considering bar work, consider these things; long hours, mean drunk people and no respect from customers, not to mention your feet hurt, your back hurts, you have to clean toilets and all for an abysmal pay cheque!

Good luck to brave amongst you that don't take my word and apply away, you're going to need it.

Comments

Popular Posts