A Freshers survival guide: from one student to another

Well, would you look at that!

Without noticing, I completely disregarded this blog for months, even forgetting it's existence. God forbid I ever have children. Just in case my audience stretches further than my mum, I do apologise.

I have just begun my second year of studying English with Writing, and by just begun, I mean today. I moved into my new house nearly three weeks ago, which meant I had to endure something I haven't lived through for a whole 12 months; freshers.

If you're unaware of the student lingo, 'freshers' refers to the first week before lectures start for your first year of studies. It's a time filled with meeting new friends, learning how to live without your family and 7 straight days of making a fool of yourself in the back of a taxi. As a survivor of this lethal time period, I'd like to share my wisdom, and maybe save a couple students from making the same mistakes everyone does.

The first thing to prepare yourself for is freshers flu. When you're told about this, you may think it's a myth, but it is nothing of the sort. When you live with a group of new people in a new place, it's easy to spread illnesses, especially if you're living with people who are allergic to doing the washing up. A week of going out and drinking, then coming home and gorging out on a kebab is bound to do your emune system some harm. Don't worry, it doesn't last forever. Just make sure you've got some paracetamol to hand, and maybe a bucket.

Meeting new people is scary, let alone having to live with them. A common misconception is that everyone drinks, and if you don't, you'll make no friends. This too, is false. Yes, a lot of 'freshers' is going to clubs and filling yourself with jagerbombs, but it is also about sitting around the kitchen with your flatmates, watching come dine with me and talking about brexit. If you fear the experience too much, you won't actually have an experience! I know so many people that don't like to drink or go to clubs, and have still enjoyed freshers as much as someone that has.

Not to scare you, but a point will come when you start to question what you're doing at university; it comes to everyone! You might want to change courses, or you don't like who you live with, or you don't know how to boil an egg, or you always get lost trying to find your lecture room. Sooner or later, something with trump you, and you'll be on the phone to your parents before you know it. I call this 'The Wall.' This, for many, is a turning point. It will determine the rest of your experience at university. Remember, while life at uni is definitely not everyones cup of tea, it is also a learning curve. Everyone doubts things.  But, if you talk to your family and friends, and the people at the uni, you will find your feet.

The biggest piece of advice I could give any fresher is to just have fun, no matter what you're doing. Don't try to be someone else to fit in, don't hide away in your room and don't panic at the first sign of trouble. Nothing is easy and it is a change of scenery, but it is also rewarding; I can only speak for myself, but the friends I've made at university are some of the best friends I've ever had, and some of the best memories come along with them. Beneath the money struggles, the difficult assignments and the aching hangovers, it's a hell of an experience that I'd recommend to anyone.

(Also, go to your lectures!)


Comments

Popular Posts